Matriarchal Universes in Fiction

For someone who writes a lot of matriarchal fiction I don't read a lot of it. Why? Because there is practically none to read. 

My question is why? Why are people so uncomfortable with this? We have so many historical and fantasy based fictional universes with patriarchal societies. I understand that we see realism in that because it reflects our own history but what is with the reluctance to write or publish matriarchal works?

They seem to be most present in science fiction and even then it tends to be a dystopian future with ALL female societies rather than a hierarchy more reminiscent of what we saw in our own patriarchal history. The most famous example of an all female society being Wonder Woman's homeland of Themyscira. Not that I don't love this character and Amazons in general but this view of men as the enemy never really sat well with me. 

The closest I ever found was 'A Brother's Price' by Wen Spencer. It is still a dystopian fiction but it is a functioning matriarchal society. It had a believable reason for our world to have become a Gynarchy. Male babies became very rare so they must be protected at all costs. So now everything dangerous and based in authority must be done by women. This also highlights the drawbacks of being thought of as more capable but less precious. I particularly loved an early scene where the eldest boy in a family of mostly girls is feeding the children and it being mocked and pushed around by his unpleasant sister. He then smacks her in the face with a towel and she can't do anything because if she was caught raising her hand to a precious commodity like a man she would be in big trouble. I like that, in this society just because he is lesser doesn't mean he is a pushover. 

The only other one I can think of is an old BBC radio play from the 80s (long before my time) called 'Space Force' by Charles Chilton. It only had two series but in the first one an all male crew encounter a race of matriarchal aliens who come from a society where there are only two roles for men. Breeding and labour. A little harsher than what I like to imagine but unique just in its mere existence. Sadly we don't get to experience much of this world as the crew escape before anything bad can happen but still a good example. 


And that's it. So, question time. Have you read any good matriarchal stories? And if you haven't how would your ideal matriarchal society function?


Check out my erotic audios and erotic ASMR

Comments

  1. Your work in Femdom Fiction is inspiring and a wonderful breath of fresh air! My own forays into fantasy have been a lot more severe in the ideas of Matriarchy, Gynarchy but Your Worldbuilding has rekindled my love of the Nurturing nature of Female Dominance that I crave and I fervently believe this World Needs to Survive, Thrive and Prosper.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spanking Chronicles: Diaper Position

Spanking Chronicles: Over the Knee